Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a good time to "renew the vows," so to speak. For years now I have carved out some precious private time on each Memorial Day to just sit and think about all those young men (and women, too) who have given everything so that I can sit in freedom and relative plenty and enjoy what my country has provided for me.

I think that's why I react so strongly to what is happening in our Republic today. They didn't die for this, I think. They didn't stand up in the face of that Nazi tank, or stay behind to cover their friends' retreat when they knew they only had one clip left, or... Hell, the list could go on and on. But not for THIS. Not for what we face today, and tomorrow. And I wonder sometimes if we are worthy of them.

Memorial Day is a good day to renew those Lines in the Sand. Here, and no further. To say, Here I stand, and you cannot have this ground without a fight.

And remembrance is not just for "our" boys either, but for all Americans. Those young Lakota and Cheyenne who splashed across the Greasy Grass on their ponies and charged up that grassy slope were protecting their homes, their families, and their way of life, too, and they deserve to be remembered and respected as well.

Memorial Day is a good day to hoist the flag, sit for a while, and think about what it all means.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always a day of reflection for me. I feel badly that the country so many gave so much for is deteriorating today. I suppose there isn't much to be done about it, since historically that always happens. But what we can do, we ought to.

Ryan said...

I think about all the Americans who died in the process of making our nation. Some were southerners fighting to preserve the nation as they thought it should be. Others were Sioux fighting to protect their way of life.