Friday, August 8, 2008

Quick skillet chicken


Living alone as I do, far from any café, and liking food as much as I do, I am completely responsible for my own vittles. I don't mind. I like to cook and I do enjoy good, simple eats. "Quick" is also nice. Here's a favorite that I enjoy from time to time.

Take one half of a skinned, boneless chicken breast and slice it into long strips. Pre-heat a cast iron skillet with a thin layer of olive oil or cooking spray. My favorite for this is a small oval skillet that I have used for for years. Sprinkle the chicken strips with adobo or your favorite seasoning. When the skillet is hot, plop 'em on. If they sizzle a bit then the skillet was just right.

When the strips are browned on one side, turn them over and spoon salsa onto them. Cover the pan with a piece of aluminum foil and let cook for, oh, until it feels "right." (Note the precision of this recipe.) Serve to the table on some sort of trivet thingie to protect the table from the very hot skillet. Sprinkle with oregano or whatever you like. A couple of corn tortillas from the toaster oven are good with this, too. The high sodium content of most salsas make this an occasional repast for me but that just makes it all the more welcome when the urge hits.

This is a quick meal. From sudden craving to sit-down takes about fifteen minutes.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

That sounds pretty good. I will make it tonight or soon. Since my wife is visiting kin I am batching it.