Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Resident Buck



Yesterday I took the UTV and a chainsaw and went to the woodpile behind my shop building to cut some firewood. This fellow was very interested in what I was doing and stayed around for a while to satisfy his curiosity. He's a 4x4 (maybe a 4x5), and stayed on the place most of the day alternating between the shooting range out front and the cedars behind the shop. 

Earlier that same morning a very large buck with his harem had been grazing in the yard around the shooting butts, but I hadn't been able to get good pics because it was too early. Later in the afternoon I took the UTV and found him and his harem less than a mile out on the prairie. I never could get a really good look at his rack because I hadn't brought the binocs, but he's at least a 5x5 and nicely broad-beamed to boot. No doubt this is the guy that made the 4x4 a solitary.

You may have to enbiggify that lower picture to see his rack.

Addendum, 11/10— That smaller buck, who turns out to be a ten-point (5x5) has found himself a girlfriend and has been following her around the place, all pie-faced all day. As I write he is grazing in the front yard about forty yards from the office window.

5 comments:

BobG said...

Nice lookin' buck.

Home on the Range said...

Wow.

I took a copilot turkey hunting in So. Missouri once. He was a good hunter, but had not hunted the region.

After a morning out, without luck, I went back to the camp and told him about the huge gobbler I'd seen out in the middle of a large field. 100 yards in the center, I had no way to get to him.

Bob was undaunted, he raced to the field, and before I could say anything, plopped himself down into the grass and slowly snaked his way, on his belly, to Mr. Turkey. Took him about 20 minutes but finally he popped up and just nailed him.

When he game strutting back with his kill he said "why didn't YOU try that. .. would have worked".

I responded "simple. . . copperheads. . field is full of them".

Sometimes you just need to know that missing the prom is not a bad thing.

Rio Arriba said...

The older I get, the less interested I am in killing things. I've done a lot of that, and I like to have a full freezer, but I also like the fellowship I feel with my critter neighbors.

Tmagnum62 said...

My father instilled in me a keen appreciation of living things. Yet he was a skilled, dedicated hunter and fisherman. He taught me to hunt and fish for food and not sport.
There have been times that I have had a shot and could not take it, more so now that when I was younger.

Roxie said...

I can't resist: Does the buck stop here?