Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Filing Wizard!

A filing wizard I ain't!

I have overnight guests coming this weekend and that means I had to make ready the bed in the guest room. The guest room is where I also keep the desk from which I pay bills and that sort of unpleasant task, preferring to keep that stuff separate from the "real office." I've used the double bed in there to "file" papers, receipts, statements, etc. It's so convenient to just put them there in relatively orderly piles according to their classification.

Well, this afternoon I swallowed my towering distaste and waded into it. Like an archeologist sifting layer after layer of cultural detritus I soldiered on. It's done now, accompanied by my usual hypocritical vow of "Never again!" Looks pretty good, too, I must admit. I can glance in from the hall and see a nice clean bed with an attractive quilt, a reading light on the nightstand, and lovely fluffy pillows. There's even a Carl Goes Shopping book on the nightstand in case they need uplifting reading matter.

I don't know where I got my distaste for filing chores. It may be DNA-dictated. I'd make a New Year's resolution on the subject but I'm not naive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Filing is just part of my life. I am compulsive about record keeping. I can tell you how many KWH I used six years ago in any given month. Sad, really. I should have gone into Civil Service.

Roxie said...

I'm compulsive about *avoiding* filing. I've been trying to clean up my workshop so I can cut frames. Was amazed at the stuff I found in boxes. I would make a New Year's resolution to do a better job of filing, but I know I'd break it tomorrow.

Papers should be burned, not filed. Or better yet, we shouldn't have to put up with them. Think how many trees die for needless paperwork.