Sunday, November 8, 2009

Baby Girl


In one of those fortuitous internet things I was recently contacted by a friend of many years ago. As we caught up on the passage of years I shared with him one of my dog friends of the past. I thought it might interest some readers here, and I offer it as such...

I've been blessed with two wonderful Shorthairs. The first, Róisín Dubh (dark Rosaleen-- roe-SHEEN doov) was an amazing bird dog. As most Shorthairs, she lived to hunt, and had more heart and drive than any dog I have ever known. She was poetry in motion and could make you cry when she went on a rock-solid point. When we would hunt with friends she would always outhunt their dogs, whatever they were. She never passed up a bird and would often bring me the cripples that other dogs missed. (I always tried to return them to their proper "owners" as I preferred to shoot my own bag.) She died in 2007, but she will live forever in my heart. She was "Baby Girl" until the day she died— blessedly at 13, of a pampered old age.


3 comments:

BobG said...

Beautiful dog; I would have loved following her through the fields in the fall to watch her work.

Rio Arriba said...

Bob, you would have liked her. She was one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" bird dogs. She was also a sweet-natured dog who loved her folks and was never shy about showing it. I miss her a lot. If she's not in heaven, I ain't going there.

Kansas Scout said...

She is/was a beaut! My stepson had a shorthair that was a once in a lifetime dog too. When they are good they are very good. Cept, my dog Speck is a pointer and she is very good too. Call me a pointer man. They are more often good. ;)