Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Lifeline

Maybe lifeline is bit melodramatic, but it seems pretty accurate to me. This is my electric line. One of those wires is for me, the other for a ranch further down on our dead-end "buffalo track."

My rural electric co-op is top flight. If my service goes down they are out there day or night, no matter the weather, to get it up and running again. And I am happy to say that (so far!) this season I haven't had an interruption of more than two hours.

Nevertheless, when those wires get hung with thick ice and start hanging low, and then the wind comes up, you can't help but get a mite nervous. My genny will run the whole place, and I keep plenty of fuel on hand. Still, I never take for granted the wonderful juice that comes in to me from far away on those thin little overhead lines. Or the great folks that keep it coming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI,

Only one of those wires is power. The top one, the other one is either just a ground, or some sort of communication line. You can tell be the glass insulator.

Rio Arriba said...

That's good to know. I appreciate the note. Electricity has always been something of a mystery to me. A Good Mystery when it works, and a Bad Mystery when it doesn't.

(You sure do belong to a big family, Mr Anonymous!)