Sunday, December 14, 2008

Visitors. Again.


From earlier today, but Blogger was being 'difficult' and wouldn't take my post...

Not even dusk yet and it's -3° and plunging fast. Supposed to be -15 to -20 tonight with wind chills in the -40 area.

Two mulies, a buck and a doe, came onto the place around midday and have been here all afternoon. They are grazing on the high grass around the old mule-barn next to my nearest target butt. The buck is a ten-point. He stood at 25-yards and munched away for almost an hour. I cracked the front door, and the storm door, just enough to stick a rifle barrel out and he never moved. Completely unaware that I was there. I still have two deer on my muzzleloader permit, but just didn't have the heart to shoot him— and from my porch of all places. Might be a different story if I were hungry, but I'm not and they appear to be.

Sorry for the poor pic quality. It was taken through window glass and screen. Best I could do without running them off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't shoot them. Life is hard enough for them right now I imagine. I wondered how you were getting on out there, that weather looks pretty severe on the Weather Channel.

Carteach said...

Live and let live. There's meat in the freezer, and venison keeps well alive on the hoof.